What is Chemical Residue?

By CleanSmart @ 1:00 pm


Have you ever gone to a restaurant and sat down at a table that was sticky? It probably felt like it was the result of the table not being cleaned. This stickiness however is a direct result of the table being cleaned, and it’s created by something called chemical residue.

Chemical residue is what’s left on a surface after being cleaned with certain chemicals, and can form as the result of improper wiping. Some cleaning products that leave a residue work by attracting dirt, unfortunately this causes their residues to also act as an adhesive afterwards. Particles are attracted to this, as what’s left on the surface is a great food source for them. These microbes will cause the surface to remain contaminated, which requires further cleaning.

How dangerous this is depends on how toxic the chemical used to clean is. A more toxic chemical will leave a more toxic residue. This can be especially impactful on young children. If eating directly from a high chair platter cleaned with a chemical that leaves a residue, they could be consuming some of it. Residues can also become airborne, which is particularly dangerous for people with asthma or sensitivities to chemicals.

Fortunately, all CleanSmart disinfectants are EPA approved as chemical residue free while killing 99.9% of germs, bacteria, and viruses. Instead, CleanSmart household disinfectants and nursery care products break down into a simple saline solution after disinfecting.

Category: Articles & News